Sunday, June 26, 2011

Silverware Transformation

Remember how way back when we blogged here about our love of sporks?  You know, those cute and fun little bamboo utensils?
And, then....we were faced with the reality of the size of these things!  They're super small.  It was nearly impossible to hold one without your thumb taking up the whole "spoon" portion.  I mean, they are adorable and bamboo and easily compostable, but that wasn't enough to make up for the fact that they would irritate the heck out of almost all of our guests.

We then moved on to the idea of larger bamboo utensils.  Like these:
But, then we decided to consider other compostable utensils.  Stuff like this:
These are actually really cool - they're made from biodegradable starch.  You can buy them here.
We had some people make recommendations about the "Reflections" disposable silverware - you know, the plastic ones that supposedly look real.  Well, I'll be honest - tonight is the first I've ever looked into it...because they're plastic.  And, that's just not what we're (okay, we'll be honest again - *I'm*) going for.  But, I'm pretty impressed with how they look.  They really do look real - at least in pictures.

In the end, I totally lucked out, though.  I've been on the hunt on Weddingbee Classifieds for silverware (of the real variety) that some already married bride might be selling for super cheap.  Not to mention, I'd been checking places like Sam's Club and other places for affordable silverware.  And, then.....I lucked out last week.  I found a listing for someone selling something like 200+ sets of mismatched silverware - AND - they hadn't sold it to someone else yet.  So, for only $0.50 a set (yes, for a real knife, fork and spoon), we got the silverware we need for the wedding.  Plus, because Priority Mail ships for a flat rate regardless of weight....shipping wasn't horrendous either.  Hooray!!!  Crissy isn't nearly as excited as silverware as I am - but she does like that they're mismatched because it appeals to her whole eclectic/weird side.  :-)
So, we've now been spending the last few days running all of the silveware through the dishwasher for what is likely only round one of cleaning.  We're also pretty excited for when we buy the last thing needed for the silverware/napkin combos for the tables...so we can put it all together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment