Wrapped candy just doesn't strike my fancy, you know? So, I decided I'd experiment with a few recipes to see what was feasible for me to make for the wedding and not take up too much time. I first tried an almond joy cookie recipe. And, they turned out okay. But, really - just okay. Nothing spectacular, in my opinion - though, Crissy did like them more than I did. So, this weekend I decided to try a recipe for "almond joy balls." It's really a recipe for the actual candy. They taste pretty darn close to the real thing. Here is the recipe I used as my basis (from here):
Almond Joy Balls
Ingredients
- 2 (16-ounce) boxes confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 (14-ounce) package shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 (12-ounce) package chocolate chips
Directions
Cream together sugar and butter in a bowl; add milk. Stir in almond extract, coconut, and nuts; mix well. Form candy into 1-inch balls. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Melt chocolate in top of double boiler, stirring well. Remove from heat but allow chocolate to remain over hot water. (If chocolate becomes too thick, return to heat for a minute or so to thin). With a toothpick, dip each ball in chocolate and place on waxed paper until set.
Now, mind you - I don't typically truly follow directions or measure. The only thing I did NOT measure this time was the almond extract. Though, I should first note what I did differently than the recipe. I did NOT use the chopped nuts - I used whole natural almonds (no salt or anything) and placed on top of the coconut ball portion before refrigerating. I accidentally melted my butter rather than it just being softened. Oops. And, in addition to not measuring the almond extract, I used a little vanilla extract, as well. I like almond - but it can be a really overwhelming flavor, in my opinion. So, I used a little of each and I think it was a nice balance. Oh, and I didn't dip into the chocolate....I spooned the chocolate on top. I like it better.
BUT...here's what I would do differently next time: I would use slightly less powdered sugar. The full 32oz is really too much - and these are pretty rich and sweet. I would use a smidge more coconut. And, most importantly....I would make them into MUCH smaller balls than I did. Seriously, the way I made mine made somewhere around 40. I think I should make them in such a small size that it makes at least 60, if not more. They're so rich they really deserve to be 2-bite-size. Tops.
Here they are in their delicious goodness:
Wondering if these will make an appearance at the wedding on the dessert table? You bet your booty they will! Crissy loved them (they really are pretty tasty) - and they're pretty easy. Plus, it turns out....I think only one batch is needed. Even better.

No comments:
Post a Comment