Friday, December 17, 2010

The art of being frugal

If you know me (Trish) at all, you know I'm not really frugal.  Beyond not really being frugal, I don't really like the art of being frugal.  What I do like is to shop.  Not only that, but I like expensive things.  Don't get me wrong - I love a good sale....but a good sale just makes me want to buy more than I would have if something were full price to begin with.  So, this whole wedding planning on a limited budget thing is a little challenging for me.  Now, if money weren't an issue at all, I don't think much would be different - I just wouldn't worry so much about what things cost and how we'll pay for it all.  I'd still want it outside at my parents house without a lot of the "hoopla" of more traditional weddings.  I'd still want it small like it will be.  I'd still want most things exactly as they are.  However, I'd probably pay someone else to make bouquets for us.....I'd consider paying for a dj instead of creating playlists for an iPod.....I'd splurge and rent things like chair covers and round tables.  But, instead - we'll probably make our own bouquets, have an iPod, and be perfectly content with our rectangle tables....plus a million other little details that we'll do ourselves.  In the end, I know we'll be perfectly happy with our wedding - and be thankful we didn't spend a lot.  Honestly.

So, instead of big fancy wedding bouquets, we're much more likely to have something like this that I saw on a wedding blog by another bride-to-be who made it for $8 from flowers she picked up at Trader Joe's.  $8 bouquet?  Yes, please!


And, then there's the subject of boutonneire's and corsages.  They might seem silly since we're having a small wedding and everyone will clearly know who our parents are.  But, here's the thing:  our parents are pretty important to us and while everyone might recognize who they are without that flower thing stuck to them....we want to make it clear who they are.  I also had an epiphany today about to do these "frugally."  (is that even a word?)  Yesterday, I was at Ariel's house chatting and picking up some gifts that I had her make for others for Christmas (I'm sooo excited to give them!) - and she showed me some cute little bags/wallet-like-things she had made and some fabric flowers she was experimenting with.  I LOVED them!!! They were all amazing - and I would have bought all of them if I (1) had the money and (2) had a use for lots of fabric flowers.  So, instead I oooh-ed and aww-ed over them and professed my love.  Then, today, I thought - why not have Ariel make fabric flowers for corsages and bouts?!?!  Little does she know that this is my thought....but I'm hoping she'll be on board when I break the news to her that I have yet another project to occupy her time.  I like the idea of fabric for a few reasons - there's nothing messy to get on people's clothes, no ridiculous pins that no one knows what to do with, and they can be kept forever.  Here's a boutonneire I found today that I think is pretty awesome...
I also came across this inspiration board today.  I love pretty much everything on the board from the fabulous shoes, that amazing dress, the clutch, the hair flower thing and the pillow.  I'll take one of each, please.  But, most importantly - that clutch may become another project for Ariel for a lovely gift for someone.  :)


You see, if I'm going to spend money on things for the wedding and gifts for others - I'd much rather pay a friend to make things she's really good at making than buy them from a store. 

In the interest of being frugal, does anyone want to volunteer to turn fabric into cloth napkins?  I'd really much prefer cloth napkins (which coincides with being more "green" than not) to paper napkins....but my sewing machine doesn't work.  :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment